Electrical installations, 5 most common mistakes!

In the electrical field, any mistake can be fatal! That is why it is very important to follow the standard and adjust the work carried out so that all risks are avoided. In this article, we will talk about the 5 most common mistakes in electrical installations, come on guys!

The big problem is that there are many errors in electrical installations that are unfortunately quite common. All of them can be easily avoided if the professional follow the rules, but unfortunately, most of them happen due to lack of training in the area of ​​electrical.

Electrical installations: Derivation of outlets

The first mistake happens very often when professionals without training are going to make a derivation in sockets and switches. This type of derivation of the image below, where the cable is completely bare is totally prohibited by the NBR 5410 standard. In case you don’t know, the live parts of the cables, that is, the bare parts can never be exposed.

See how to make a derivation in outlets.

So, to avoid this you can use modular sockets that have two holes in the terminal, just to make the derivation in the proper way. Another good alternative is to use the quick connectors that facilitate this type of cable shedding. We already talked about these connectors in another article here in the World of Electrical, it is worth reading.

Electrical installations: Neutral sectioning

For safety reasons, the indication is that the phase must always be sectioned. In the case of lighting in which the neutral has been sectioned, the lamp receptacle will be energized and when someone needs to change the lamp, they run an enormous risk of receiving an electric shock when touching the metal part of the receptacle.

Understand why we cannot section the neutral for lighting!

And an aggravating factor is that in addition to the risk of electric shock, the person will also be exposed to the consequences of the fall, since in most cases he will be changing this lamp in a high place and needs to be on top of a ladder.

Electrical installations: Sloppy seam

When the splice is badly done, it can cause heating of the installations and consequently, there will be an increase in the consumption of electric energy, besides of course bad contact and the possibility of current leakage.

Know the consequences of a bad amendment!

In the image we can see that the definition of poorly made splice goes much further than not intertwining and tightening the cables correctly, because sometimes the splice was well done, but the insulation was terrible! In these cases, the risk of taking an electric shock is very great, and in some situations heating that point of the electrical installation can even cause a fire.

Electrical installations: Circuit breaker tripping

This error is classic and you have certainly heard of a house that as soon as you turn on the shower, the circuit breaker trips. This is because many houses do not have a circuit distribution or the proper load lifting. To solve this what do people do? They simply increase the current of the circuit breaker when it starts to trip.

Understand how to change the general circuit breaker!

Unfortunately, many “professionals” who work with electrical simply change the general circuit breaker for a bigger one without doing the proper load lifting. In other words, they do not analyze the need to change the installation cables, which is a fundamental point in these cases.

When this general circuit breaker is changed without any analysis, the consequences are certainly overloading the cables, increased consumption of electrical energy in the installation, heating the cables, and all this can even cause a fire!

Electrical installations: Cut the plug pin

The fifth and final mistake is also very common and is apparently harmless! Who didn’t have a problem with that 3-pin plug other than the old 2-pin socket? Certainly you have heard someone saying that it is only necessary to cut the ground pin, which is the middle pin, but what can this risk offer?

Find out why you should not cut the grounding pin of the devices!

The grounding system is mandatory in all electrical installations in Brazil, but unfortunately many installations do not have a ground. When you buy a new device it must already come with the 3-pin plug and many people have cut the ground pin instead of changing the installation plug.

Ungrounding an appliance can cause serious accidents! If the housing becomes energized for any reason, it will not have the grounding pin to drain this leakage current. Under these conditions, anyone who touches this housing can be electrocuted.

The switch from the socket pattern to the current three-pin standard has occurred to bring more security to electrical installations, however many people have not yet adapted their installations with old two-pin sockets to the current three-pin.