We live surrounded by wires and sockets, practically all the equipment that surrounds us has its operation based on electricity. Therefore, seeing reports related to accidents directly involving electricity, are more and more frequent. We will address the main causes of domestic accidents, the necessary care to be taken, especially with children, how to react in cases of accidents with electricity, in addition to mentioning the types of accidents involving outlets, electric shocks, heating of connections, fires and mishandling electrical equipment.
Electricity is not perceptible, in any material, cable or equipment that is energized, it is not possible to perceive with the senses whether they are conducting electricity or not, so to handle them, whether it is a simple lamp change, there is little care.
According to data from Abracopel (Brazilian Association for Awareness of the Dangers of Electricity), an average of 650 people die every year in accidents involving electricity, the majority of which from electric deaths. Approximately 28% of fatal accidents involving electricity occurred inside homes, a part of those caused by fires, which were caused by short circuits, and a relatively low number of deaths from lightning strikes.
Main causes of domestic accidents involving electricity.
Among the main causes of domestic accidents involving electricity, there are bare or broken wires, which may come into contact with other conductive materials, increasing the contact area, increasing the risks of electric shock.
For those who like to fly kites from the balcony or from the top of the slab, be careful with the cables, the line must not come into contact with the power grid, in case the kite is stuck to the cables under any circumstances try to remove it, even if you try to remove it with materials that are poor conductors, the voltage that is passing through the cables is not known, in case of very high voltage, the dielectric of the material may break, consequently causing electric shock.
The audio below talks about the risks of accidents with cell phones.
How to avoid domestic accidents involving electricity.
To prevent these accidents from occurring, several practices can be abandoned, and certain simple precautions can be adopted. For those who have children at home, attention is doubled and care is little when it comes to electricity.
One of the practices to be abandoned is to stop using pirated cell phone chargers, never leave a charger plugged into the socket without being used, the continuous use of these devices can generate great heating of the equipment and consequently can catch fire.
For the protection of children avoid leaving exposed wires, broken parts or any electrical equipment within reach of them, children are very active and curious, use protective covers for plugs, which are usually plastic, so they do not put your finger or any object in the plugs.
Never change the shower selector switch during the bath, as when the shower is turned on, the electrical current is very high, and when the internal contacts of the shower change, there may be a current leak, which in that circumstance can be fatal.
When changing a simple lamp, changing the resistance of an electric shower, make sure the circuit is de-energized, turn off the circuit breaker or the main switch. If there is a problem with the internal installations of the house, do not try to solve the problem yourself, call a qualified professional for that type of service.
Avoid connecting more than one electrical equipment at a single point, especially those of greater power, as the electrical current may be greater than the outlet supports, causing overheating and melting of the connections and cables, consequently causing a fire.
Many of the accidents can be avoided by making electrical installations with the appropriate protective equipment in accordance with NBR-5410, such as the Residual Differential Switch (IDR) in addition to a grounding system, small investments that can save a life!
How to react in case of electric shock.
Accidents involving electricity can be fatal, in case of electric shock take it easy and do not rush, because the situation may end up getting worse. It is important that you understand that in these situations your life can also be put at risk if you act inappropriately.
When a person is electrocuted the main recommendations are: turn off the power source, call immediately for emergency and never touch the person electrocuted, because consequently, you can also suffer a discharge, if that person is still in contact with the source. In case of fire, never try to put the fire out on the power grid or on electrical appliances with water! In these cases, a class C fire extinguisher must be used.