Residential electrical installations are part of the daily life of electricians and consumers. From outlets, switches to the floor plan of the installation, electrical is present in almost every home. So learning a few connections makes everyday life a lot easier. But it is indicated that the person who is going to carry out the installation is a qualified professional and able to carry out the work.
The first steps to be taken are the identification of the installation voltage and identification of the installation wires (ground, neutral and phase). In homes, the voltage is generally 127 V. The question of cables can generate some doubts in the identification. The NBR-5410 (Brazilian standardization for low voltage installations) specifies that all cables must contain identification, but not necessarily in colors, so it is important to inspect the fashion cable to find out which one it is.
Before taking this installation step by step, take the following notes as a reminder:
- During the installation or handling of the fan, do not hold it only by the cables, this can cause damage and even break the cables;
- Do not mix pieces from other fans, the idea is to use the original set, as the pieces of it were designed to work together;
- Check that the fan parts are well wired to the housing, to prevent accidents and break loose parts;
- Check if the fan installation location has the potential to support the weight, around 25 kg;
- The height of the fan from the floor must be at least 2.3 meters, and the distance from other devices installed on the ceiling (chandeliers, for example) and from the walls must be at least 0.5 m;
- Also note that the location of the ceiling fan installation will not compromise the functioning of doors, cabinets and windows;
Installation of the ceiling fan step by step
In this step by step we take into account a specific model of fan, if it does not apply to your situation, take it as a model and look for improvement. The fan motor cables (three cables) have colors, usually, the cable of a different color from the others is the common cable, the remaining two are the cables that determine the direction of rotation. When connecting the common cable and one of the cables the direction of rotation will be clockwise when connecting the common with the other cable the direction of rotation will be counterclockwise. The switch used will promote these two functions, it is connected in a simple way, as well as a parallel switch (three-way). Inside this switch is a capacitor, where these cables will be connected which differ in the direction of rotation and not with the common cable. The switch also has a blue cable, which will be connected to a phase. The motor works and 220 V, and a phase will also be connected to it. If it were a 127 V motor, instead of connecting a phase to the motor, the cable connected to it will be neutral.
- Connect the white cables of the motor to the white cables of the switch;
- The remaining blue cables are the phases that go to the switch and the motor, in the case of a 220 V motor, connect these cables to the power supply;
- Before testing make sure that the blue, phase cable is connected to the middle terminal of the switch, and the white cables at the ends;
- Test the connection, so that the three switch positions are clockwise, off and counterclockwise;
Follow this call and her test in the video below, ask your questions and follow the comments on this call.
This installation is a simple way to connect a ceiling fan. In the end, the installation should look like this:
This connection can be increased, for example, the installation with a parallel lamp switch. Remembering that this passage of the cables is done inside the walls, and for this reason, it can cause more work. This type of fan is easily found in offices and in homes, it provides comfort and beauty to environments.