When we look at the question of technological evolution, we notice that the use of increasingly modern devices is very large. As a result, the dependence on electricity has also grown significantly.
As we know, the process for the energy to reach you is very complex and does not work by magic! It is necessary that several electricians who perform different functions work hard to make all of this happen.
All the knowledge of this professional is very important for the execution of tasks to be perfectly performed, but if this professional does not pay attention to safety issues, the chances of an accident in his service will be very great.
Check the use of personal protective equipment, also known as PPE. Electrician professionals are exposed every day to several serious risks and the use of PPE is essential.
PPE for electricians: What is the importance?
One of the ways to evaluate a good professional is by analyzing how he takes care of his own safety, since if he does not take good care of himself, what is the guarantee that he will be concerned with the safety of the people who will circulate in the place where he did some work?
This article is for both the customer who can observe the electrician in the aforementioned aspects and for the electrician himself, who in addition to giving a more professional image to the customer, also aims to work within the correct standards, effectively taking care of his own safety which is the main focus in question.
PPE for electricians: What are they?
To allow the work to be carried out effectively and without any risk, the electrician must always have the personal protective equipment related to his area with you, they are:
- Adequate tools – In addition to having good quality tools, electricians should always use those that have a rubber cable or protector with the function of the insulator.
- Helmet – The use of the helmet is essential to ensure safety against impacts on the head region.
- Protective cover – This cover must have a rubber coating acting with the insulating function, used in the insulation of busbars in order to create an insulating barrier for example.
- Rubber gloves and shoes – Both have two functions, the first is the protection of the hands and feet and the second is to act as an insulator, so both must be made of rubber. In the case of an insulating glove, the working voltage and the insulating voltage of the glove must be analyzed, both must be compatible.
- Goggles – This equipment aims to protect the eyes from any foreign object. Some helmets have a visor usually acrylic, it also has this objective.
- Seatbelt and protection locks – These must be used by electricians who work more than 2 meters from the floor.
PPE for electricians: How to care?
After using personal protective equipment, it is best to clean and store it correctly, so that its useful life will be much longer. Maintaining the good condition of use of this PPE is as important as its own use. It is useless to use protective equipment that is not within the norms or in a bad state of conservation. Therefore, take good care of your PPE and when buying it, research the brands and see if they have been approved by the responsible agency.
It is important to emphasize that even taking all the precautions, the electrician is a professional subject to various risks and accidents, but they occur much more frequently and with much more serious consequences, when there is imprudence and / or negligence by the professionals.
For companies, it is very important to inform their employees what the risks are, to instruct on personal protective equipment and the correct way to use them, in addition to inspecting this use later.
To avoid future problems, make sure that a declaration has been delivered and signed by all employees, confirming receipt of safety equipment and instructions for use. Just as electrical work must be carried out by electricians, this guidance and inspection on the use of PPE must also always be developed by suitably qualified professionals in the area, that is, a safety technician.